Position: Marine Biologist
Oceans of Energy is a young company and the first in the world to place solar panels offshore in ocean conditions. Our goal is to allow all populations near the sea, from small islands to large coastal regions, to generate clean energy using their sea space rather than their scarce land. We want to achieve this without causing harm to the marine ecosystem and search out positive spinoffs for people and planet. As our first projects at sea are being realized this year, we need to strengthen our environmental team. Are you a marine biologist/ecologist or marine scientist and excited to contribute your specific knowledge to drive innovation in the fast-paced environment of a tech startup? Do you want to contribute to a cleaner world and help accelerate the energy transition? Join our ambitious team where you can have an impact and see direct results of your contributions.
You will play a key role in defining research and monitoring methods aimed to understand interaction of our floating solutions with all marine life in various ecosystems.
Responsibilities can include:
- Design and execute environmental monitoring and mitigation programs in the field
- Hands-on building of eco-monitoring equipment and field tests
- Be part of the offshore inspection team and go on regular field visits
- Collect, analyze and interpret data obtained at sea (e.g. camera data, multi-sonde ecological data, meteo data)
- Manage and provide input to H2020 research programs
- Provide your specific expertise (tropical ecosystems, benthic habitats, marine aquaculture, marine animals etc.) to our engineers to create eco-optimal designs
Qualifications and Qualities:
- Master’s degree in Marine Biology or Ecology, Marine Science, Aquaculture & Marine Resource Management or related fields
- 1-5 years of experience in setting-up and executing (marine) fieldwork-based studies
- Good at (large) data (set) handling, manipulation and analysis (programming skills a benefit)
- Perform well in a fast-paced and challenging environment of new technology development
- Startup mentality: enthusiastic, independent, team player, hands-on, flexible mindset
- Well organized, structured and self-directed
- Good communicator, excellent English language skills and affinity with writing
- EU working permit
What we offer and how to apply
Oceans of Energy’s headquarters are in Katwijk, in (biking) proximity to the Leiden CS station. We offer a culture of flexible working hours and value responsibility. We are committed to foster learning for personal development in order for you to grow. For more information, contact Dr. Vlaswinkel at email@example.com. To apply, please send your CV and a short motivation to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject “Marine Biologist Position“.