Vacancy OEV2104: Hydrodynamics Engineer
Oceans of Energy is a young company and the first in the world to have installed and operate solar panels offshore in high wave conditions. Our goal is to enable populations near the sea, from small islands to large coastal regions, to generate abundance of clean energy using sea space rather than scarce land space. Our modular offshore solar farm system has been in operation at sea for more than one and a half year, and we will extend and increase the pilot size, hand in hand with ecological research to understand the impact as well as the benefits for nature and marine life.
The Hydrodynamics Engineer is responsible for the overall hydrodynamic analysis of the system that will result in design choices and validations. The Hydrodynamics Engineer also looks ahead how our large utility scale solar farms will be designed, moored, and installed, and what components are best used to withstand the offshore forces. This drives decisions as to what to incorporate in our current pilot projects. The function is based in our engineering & fabrication location near Leiden.
Responsibilities and Tasks:
- Conceptual design of mooring systems, dynamic power cable and floating systems
- Hydrodynamic modelling of novel floating renewable energy platforms
- Determine mooring loads of the floating structures, analyzing the hydrodynamic behavior using numerical simulation tools and and full-scale testing
- Developing and maintaining OOE’s in-house software
- Involve experts and suppliers, select them, set up joint development with them
- Plan and supervise model-testing of basin scale models
- Verify outcome of numerical modelling with hand-calculations
- Working together with other disciplines (i.e. structural design)
- Provide Offshore Operations Team with knowledge about the system
Qualifications and Skills:
- Advanced degree (Master) preferably in Offshore-, Mechanical-, Civil or Maritime engineering
- Recently graduated, or 1-2 years relevant engineering experience
- Experience with engineering programming languages (i.e. Python, Matlab, etc..)
- Experience with Dynamic modelling (i.e. ODE solvers, numerical integration schemes, wave modelling)
- Preferred experience with dynamic analysis tools (e.g. Orcaflex, Ansys AQWA, AnySIM, NEMOH)
- Excellent English language skills
- Startup mentality: enthusiastic, independent, and getting things done with simple means.
- Driven, curious and solutions-oriented; bringing solutions rather than listing problems
- Self-directed, quick learner
- Able to perform well in a fast-paced and highly challenging environment
- Good communicator and able to work in a small team
- In possession of EU working
For more information and applying, please send CV and a short motivation to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject “Hydrodynamics Engineer “ and code OEV2104.