Position: Intern Field Scientist / Field Engineer – starting July 1st
Oceans of Energy is a young company, we develop floating systems for renewable energy at sea. Our goal is to allow all islands and all populations near the sea to generate clean energy using their ocean space rather than their scarce land.
Since 2019 we are operating the world’s first (!) offshore solar farm on the North Sea. This means we regularly go out at sea to monitor and maintain our system. We do as much hydrodynamic and ecological data collection as we can, to better understand the interactions of our technology with the marine environment and to provide input for further research and numerical modelling.
As a field scientist / field engineer intern, you are a valuable member of the offshore inspection team and you will help collect and analyze the field data.
Responsibilities can include:
- Regular offshore inspection trips
- Download, visualize and analyze data obtained at sea (camera data, multi-sonde ecological data, hydrodynamic data)
- Assist with the design and execution phase of specific environmental monitoring programs in the field
- Hands-on building of simple eco-monitoring equipment and field tests
- Provide your specific expertise (related to nautic skills, marine biology, hydrodynamics, data processing, programming, …) to our multidisciplinary team of young researchers and engineers
Qualifications and Qualities:
- You must be an EU student presently registered at a Dutch educational institute
- HTS, Bsc or Master’s degree education, for instance Marine Science, Marine Biology, Sustainable Energy Technology, Water Management, Civil Engineering
- Affinity with boats and/or the sea; drone operation skills a bonus
- (Large) data set handling, manipulation, and analysis skills
- Organized and structured
- Enthusiastic, independent, and getting things done with simple means in a fast-changing environment: The startup mentality
- Good English language skills
- In possession of EU work visa; available for at least 3 months
What we offer and how to apply:
Oceans of Energy’s headquarters are in Katwijk, in (biking) proximity to the Leiden CS station. We offer a culture of flexible working hours and value responsibility. You will receive a fair internship allowance. We are committed to foster learning for personal development in order for you to grow. For more information, contact Dr. Vlaswinkel at firstname.lastname@example.org. To apply, please send your CV and a short motivation to email@example.com with subject “Intern Field Scientist / Engineer“.