Oceans of Energy is a young company which focuses on the development of floating systems at sea for renewable energy generation. We offer access to a unique source of clean energy to islands and coastal regions, without competition for scarce land and with cost reductions compared to conventional energy sources. We do so with radical innovation and a well-balanced team, consisting of experienced top-seniors and highly talented starters. As our first projects at sea are being realized next year, we need to strengthen our environmental team. Are you a marine biologist or ecologist and excited to contribute your specific knowledge to drive innovation in the fast-paced environment of a tech startup? Do you want to contribute to a cleaner world and help accelerate the energy transition? Join our ambitious team where you can have an impact and see direct results of your contributions. The Junior Marine Biologist/Ecologist plays a key role in defining research and monitoring methods aimed to understand interaction of our floating solutions with all marine life in various ecosystems.
- Carry out literature study related to the various marine ecosystems (temperate, tropical) and baseline studies for site specific environmental impact assessments
- Provide input to the engineering team on eco-friendly solutions for new prototypes
- Assist with the design and execution phase of environmental monitoring (and mitigation) programs in the field
- Provide your expertise (materials, interaction of system with marine life, eco-optimizations, aquaculture, etc.) to our multidisciplinary team of top researchers and engineers
- Hands-on building of simple eco-monitoring equipment and field tests
Qualifications and Qualities:
- Master’s degree, preferably in Marine Biology or Ecology, and 1-5 years of experience in setting-up and executing field-work
- Knowledge of marine aquafarming, marine resource management, and GIS-software preferable
- Good at data handling, manipulation, and analysis skills
- Well-organized, good communicator, self-directed, and quick learner: Bringing solutions rather than listing problems
- Enthusiastic, independent, and getting things done with simple means in a fast-changing environment: The startup mentality
- Excellent English language skills and affinity with writing
What we offer and how to apply Oceans of Energy’s headquarters are in Leiden, in (biking) proximity to the station. We offer a culture of flexible working hours and value responsibility. For instance, we do not track vacation days as we believe team members can decide themselves when it is time to push and when it is time to take a break. We are committed to foster learning for personal development in order for you to grow. For more information, contact Dr. Vlaswinkel at email@example.com. To apply, please send your CV and a short motivation to firstname.lastname@example.org” with subject “Marine Biologist Position“.