Hydrodynamic Engineering (Graduate) Internship 2019
Oceans of Energy is a start-up company that is focused on developing the world’s first floating solar systems at sea. Our goal is to allow all islands and all populations near the sea to generate clean energy using the ocean space rather than the scarce land.
We are passionate about creating new maritime technology and believe that an innovation is most successful when lead by a small organization which is 100% focused on making it a success. All members of our engineering team, both staff and interns, play a key role in the development of our novel floating renewable energy platforms.
We cooperate actively with research institutes like MARIN and offshore industry in building up to the deployment of our first prototype in 2019. One of the key steps is scale modelling in the MARIN offshore basin and consequently improving our ability to simulate our system using time domain numerical models. This (graduate) internship is focused on using the extensive dataset of the scale tests and find improvements for our future simulation capabilities.
- Hydrodynamic modelling of novel floating renewable energy platforms
- Verify outcome of numerical modelling with hand-calculations
- Validate and improve numerical models for a new field of application
- Compare numerical models
- Translate basin measurement data and video footage to hydrodynamic behavior
- Analyze measurement data from real-life prototypes and pilot systems, and integrate findings in following designs
- Hands-on building and design of prototypes
Qualifications and Qualities:
- Master or Bachelor student in (typically) Mechanical, Civil, Offshore- or Maritime engineering
- Capable of – or eager to learn – design, scripting (Python), numerical modelling (e.g. Anysim)
- Startup mentality: enthusiastic/driven, independent, taking initiative, solutions-oriented and getting things done with simple means
- Good communicator and able to work in a small team
- Excellent English language skills